Our story begins with a French master jeweler named Francois Fleuriau on Broad Street, London in the early 18th century. In 1716, Francois married Ann LeBlanc and on 14th June, 1720, whilst still at the Broad Street location, he took an apprentice named John Sabotier and in 1726 took another named Francis David.
In 1730, Francois Fleuriau moved from Broad Street to the York Buildings on Duke Street in the Strand, London and named his jewelry store the Eagle and Pearl. On the 5th June, 1736, Francis took a new apprentice named Gabriel Legir.
On November 28, 1730, Peter Parquot, a young French descendant, started his apprenticeship as a jeweler with Andrew Mayaffre. In 1738, Peter became a master jeweller and married Susanna Patras de Maillefaud, a granddaughter of Jean Jacques de Maillefaud - Counselor to King Louis XIV, and, with the sum of 800 British pounds bequeathed to him on 9 June 1743 by Susanna's brother Jean he opened an Eagle and Pearl store in 1744 on King Street, facing Nassau Street, in St. Ann's, London.
During the early to mid 18th century, jewelry at Eagle and Pearl was produced in-house mainly for noble exiles from France and purchases were accepted on credit, but later Francois and Peter moved to accept both credit and cash. After 1750, jewelry was priced at fixed prices, a practice first introduced in 1750 by Palmer's of London Bridge.
Peter was known to have created a ring with a large brilliant diamond named the Maillefaud ring, and in the 1761 will of his wife Susanna she bequeathed a ring as described, along with several others, to her daughter Susanna, and to another a collection of rings, one described as emerald with four brilliant diamonds. All of significant historical value to the company.
In 1751, Paul Bouillard joined Eagle and Pearl and a store was opened on Great Suffolk Street, Haymarket, London.
In 1752, James Brown joined Eagle and Pearl and a store was opened on Church Street, Soho, London.
In 1755, Charles Fleuriau joined Eagle and Pearl and a store was opened on Craven Street, London.
In 1753, Henry Coles joined Eagle and Pearl and a store was opened on Tavistock Street in Convent Garden, London.
In 1760, William Park Fisher joined Eagle and Pearl and was at the store located at Tavistock Street in Convent Garden, London.
In 1772, an Eagle & Pearl store was opened at No. 9, Eagle and Pearl, opposite Brook Street in Holborn, London, which was operated until 1802 by Jewelers Richard and Letitia Clarke, and between 1790 and 1793, a relative of Richard, M. Clarke, was a jeweler at the same address.
In 1780, Joseph Silver joined Eagle and Pearl and a store was opened at No. 113 Fetter Lane, London. In 1790, Joseph moved to No.28, Hatton Garden, London (1790-1832) and then to No.51, Hatton Garden, London (1838 and 1839).
1802 - 2002:
Eagle & Pearl operated locally in London, U.K. During the early to mid 1800s. John Treweek operated what became the main store located on Princes Court, St. Lukes, and was continued there for some time by his descendants.
In 1849, the Eagle and Pearl store on Great Suffolk Street was mentioned in the novel titled "The King and the Countess" where a maid was sent by Gardelle, the master of the house, to the store with a letter to request a receipt be written by Mr. Broshet, the owner of the store, and was signed for by the maid and returned to Gardelle.
In Russia, watches set with gems were fashionable among the royalty and the wealthy. The Kremlin Museum has a number of them, including a gold gem-set watch by Peter Parquot senior, made probably in a Dresden workshop, with a rock crystal and enamel case that Tsar Nicolas II of Russia had in his collection (Inv. M3-4143).
2002 - 2005:
The current owners have continued Eagle and Pearl Jewelers and in 2002 they purchased a 10 year lease on a retail space in Lincolnshire, U.K. After extensive renovations to the Lincoln property, the lease for the property was sold and the company became an online retailer.
2005 - Present:
Eagle and Pearl Jewelers is a family owned business and the current co-owner, who is Peter Parquot's 6th great grandson and John Treweek's 4th great grandson, moved the business from the U.K. to the U.S in 2005, moving away from traditional brick and mortar stores to online retail. At present, Eagle and Pearl Jewelers operates only in the United States and imports and sells fine jewelry made by Fei Liu, Clogau and Kit Heath.